Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sunday morning musings

This morning Holly came to me a little out of sorts because she was bored (no computer before church). I suggested she work on her "Personal Progress."


She took out her book and began thumbing through it looking for something to work on and came across one that asked her to read a scripture passage and then make a list of things she could do personally to "bear one another's burdens." This was one that she initially thought she could do.

She started making her list and then became upset and frustrated saying that she couldn't possibly do any of it and it wouldn't help anyone anyway and would cost too much money that we didn't have and on and on and on.

So I sat down with her and tried to tell her about the little things that we can do to lift each other's burdens. I think she had kind of tuned me out, because she wasn't buying it.

So I took her here and here showed her this. I talked to her about the fundraisers and auctions held for monetary help for this family, but I also showed her the many comments, the balloon launch, the posts thanking others for their prayers, cards and letters and this video:




Balloons for Nie from Jared Foster on Vimeo.

Holly became quiet as she read and watched the story of this young family and all that has been and is being done for them--the big things and the little things. She was a little teary (as was I) when the last video ended. She started thinking of the things she might do, and she went forward with her planning.

The whole discussions of course got me thinking of the little things that lift me when my burdens seem heavy--a compliment, a hug, a note, another's gratitude for something I've done. I then started asking myself--do I do these things often enough for others in an effort to lift them up?

At this time in my life I don't have money to donate nor do I have large chunks of time to devote to large projects that lift the burdens of others, but I do have the ability to lift others with words, a hug, gratitude and a smile. I'm making a goal to consciously strive to do these things.

4 comments:

i i eee said...

Oftentimes, it is the little things that we remember most, and carry with us throughout our lives. Money comes and goes, and is easily forgotten.

Prayer is the most valuable tool we have, and I believe it can achieve things greater than any sum of money.

Elise said...

A little hug or note go a long way, and I'm not sure why it's so easy to forget that, but thanks for the reminder.

dishes and laundry said...

What a great teacher you are, Kelly. This situation with Nie and her family was the perfect opportunity to talk about those little things.

The other day Troy came home from Walmart irritated that the cashier was so unfriendly and practically rude to him. I listened to his gripe and it was very legitimate, but then I admitted to him that whenever I'm shopping, I sort of make it a personal goal to be The Friendliest Person That Came Through the Line Today. Seriously. Even if they are not so friendly at first (obligatory) greeting, I'm smiling, asking how they are, how long til they get off, cheerful small talk, etc. I've seen the way they (cashiers) can get treated and I also realize that Walmart probably isn't their first choice of employment, and I also am pretty sure that other customers have been rude to them - so maybe them being rude is defensive. I don't know. But if I can brighten their day in any way, I'm gonna do it.

Alli Blue said...

What Personal Progress? Music to my ears!
Holly lifts my burden every time I see her! She makes me laugh, and she has great perspective on things. Beyond her years actually! Sounds like she is on the right track!