Monday, April 27, 2009

Making plans...


GUESS WHAT WE'RE DOING!
Last year, I watched in awe as my sister and sister-in-law built (with the help of wonderful husbands) square-foot gardens. They looked great and the harvest looked even greater.
I took note of the website and this year I showed it to my landscape-loving husband. In the past, he's not been completely enthusiastic about a garden spot. Oh, he loves gardening--but a square vegetable garden set in rows is not as asthetically pleasing to the eye as he wants it to be.
He tried integrating vegetable plants into the landscape. This worked okay, but the soil was less than desirable for growing the vegetables and only putting a few here and there between bushes did not yield a very prolific crop.
When I showed him the square-foot gardens, however, his eyes lit up in an"Aha!" moment. They got wider when he saw the ones made out of vinyl. He immediately saw the potential in this project and is enthusiastically preparing to plant with me!
Stay tuned for more...

3 comments:

Elise said...

Oh I can't wait to see more! I think I will have to live vicariously through you and Wendy this year, because I am accepting the fact that it's just not something I can get going this year. But it is lots of fun!

dishes and laundry said...

Have fun! We never went fancy with the vinyl - too expensive, but I think they really do look the nicest. I have to move a few of my gardens because they didn't get enough sun. I think you'll love gardening this way! Give each of the kids a square or two.

KCK said...

We scrapped the vinyl idea--way too expensive. The wood will look just fine!

I'm getting excited!